Wednesday 24 March 2010

Tuesday 9th March. 12 new drawings total 258

The lady from the Times has phoned in. My sister, who is now helping on the project, will follow up. Don’t feel any sense of optimism; she has to sell the story to the paper.

Can’t find A to Z. Cycle via city, over London Bridge to the Market Porter, an old Southwark pub for the 60th Birthday party of JP. Discover I have forgotten my keys and therefore can’t lock bike. A cook says I can stash vehicle under a fire escape reached through a through gate across an old walled yard between the railway arches and the warehouse which is now occupied by his restaurant. So Southwark! What a good place to forget ones keys!

Mrs EM is at the party. She is a former vicar. She agrees to be drawn. My friend CM is also there. Her husband is cool about being drawn but I can tell that MC is less willing. She is in a hurry to get home with their little boy. She does not have the time for the conversation that always seems to happen when someone is essentially against the principle of supporting prostitution but perhaps supports the idea of art being used for a social purpose. The drawing was done in less than 30 seconds and I could see her relief at being unrecognisable.

JP has many friends who work with young people in areas the areas of health and arts; they are warmly enthusiastic about the Drawn Petition. I draw a lovely lady, HH, who is a senior member of staff at the South London Gallery. She asks if I have contributed to Michael Landy’s Art Bin installation. I do two drawings of her. One for The Drawn Petition and one to throw into Landy’s giant glass skip. She takes it with her. She invites me to the wrap up party for this major show by one of my favourite YBA artists. I go home with stars in my eyes! I phone NW, the petition’ s loyal intern who is focussing on publicity. Invite her to the star studded Champaign reception. This is one way I can thank her for her hard work.

Cycle back on the south side of the Thames and cross at Blackfriars. Stop off to make enquiries at the Venus Lap Dancing Club. I am told to return next day to discuss with day manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment